Sunday, July 9, 2006
SUPES TO CONSIDER AIRPORT LOAN
By Nathan Rushton
The Eureka (CA) Reporter
The terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, altered how airports are designed and operated, and the Arcata-Eureka Airport terminal doesn’t have space to implement the new federally mandated security requirements. That is according to the county’s Community Development Services staff reports for the upcoming Humboldt County Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday.
The board will consider whether to approve a $750,000 Headwaters Community Investment Fund loan to the Public Works Division of Aviation for an expansion to accommodate new security features.
Following a break last week for the Fourth of July holiday, the regularly scheduled board meeting is set for 9 a.m. in the Supervisors’ chambers.
Staff is recommending that the loan, which carries a 1.5 percent interest rate, be accepted to clear the way for the expansion.
The project includes the remodeling of approximately 2,400 square feet of the existing airport terminal building and the addition of approximately 5,300 square feet of new building to accommodate new airport security improvements, including sterile passenger holding and baggage screening areas.
A Federal Aviation Administration Airport Improvement Grant will cover 90 percent of the project, with the remaining 10 percent funded through passenger facility charges and state of California funds.